Printing & Graphic Industries

Careers Advisors & Case Managers

What do career and job seekers need to know?

Up to date information on an employment sector is an enormous asset to a student or unemployed person. They need to answers to questions such as:

  • How many people the industry employs in Australia
  • What’s the latest unemployment rate
  • What proportion of males and females  work in it
  • What is the average weekly wage
  • What  the crystal ball tells  about the future
  • What are the  main jobs
  • How many people are in the industry

>To find an overview of the printing and graphic arts industry that answers these questions and many others, please click here.

Which jobs/occupations are associated with the Printing and Graphic Arts industry?

  • Binders, Finishers and Screen Printers
  • Pre-press Trades Workers
  • Printers
  • Printing Assistants and Table Workers
  • Sales Representatives

To find out more about the jobs /occupations click here.

The six occupations listed as part of the NSW Printing and Graphic Arts Industry can be accessed by clicking on a title which will open to a comprehensive overview of the occupation including

  • Job prospects
  • Weekly earnings
  • Occupation size

To obtain a summary of the overview click on Reports & links and then click on Occupational Bulletin

Where do I find information about training?

For more information on training and qualifications:

Please enter ICP Printing and Graphic Arts Training Package and Click on View Report  

Where do I find training organisations?

To find the Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) in NSW which deliver some or all of the vocational qualifications in the ICP10 Printing and Graphic Arts Training Package click here.

In the National Code Box enter ICP10 and tick the NSW Box and then click View Report.

The report for ICP10 shows details on 25 RTOs delivering vocational qualification courses from the Training Package. For more detailed information about a RTO, click on the number in blue that will bring up a summary page.

Where do I find information about traineeships?

(a) Apprenticeships and Traineeships in the Printing and Graphic Arts Industry in NSW, click

(b) Training courses subsidised by the NSW Government, click

Can the skills people already have be assessed?

'Skills recognition' is a generic term that can be used to cover the range of ways an individual's skills, experience, knowledge and qualifications can be formally acknowledged, including: Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Credit transfer (including national recognition) Overseas qualifications assessment.


Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) involves the assessment of previously unrecognised skills and knowledge an individual has achieved outside the formal education and training system. 

RPL assesses this unrecognised learning against the requirements of a formal qualification. By removing the need for duplication of learning, RPL encourages an individual to continue upgrading their skills and knowledge through structured education and training towards formal qualifications and improved employment outcomes.

In order to recognise prior learning it is necessary to: compare the informal or non-formal learning the individual has achieved against the learning outcomes or performance criteria of the course or qualification for which the student is using as a basis for seeking entry or the award of credit, and determine appropriate evidence to support the claim of prior learning.

The processes used to assess RPL applications may take several (not mutually exclusive) forms, for example:

  • participation in exactly the same or modified versions of the assessment the student would be required to complete as part of the full course
  • assessment based on a portfolio of evidence
  • direct observation of demonstration of skill or competence
  • reflective papers, journals or portfolios that relate past learning to the learning or competency outcomes of the current course or qualification
  • provision of examples of the student's work drawn from the workplace, social, community or other setting in which the student applies their learning, skill or competence;
  • testimonials of learning, skill or competence; or
  • combinations of any of the above.


Can an already completed course be credited towards another course of study?

Credit transfer involves assessing a previously completed course or subject to see if it provides equivalent learning or competency outcomes to those required within the student's current course of study.

It is used when a student seeks credit for a course or subject they have already completed. It is based on agreements between institutions or organisations as to the credit value to be given for specific units of competency and learning outcomes within a course or qualification. Formal documentation of equivalence (for example a mapping guide) is required.

Credit transfer can also be cross-sectoral. For example, students may seek to have vocational education and training qualifications credited against higher education subjects, or the reverse. Processes for credit transfer should be developed and administered by individual organisations.

What is National Recognition?

National recognition is unique to the vocational education and training system. It means that a student automatically has credit for units of competency that they have completed at another registered training organisation (RTO).

A statement of attainment from another RTO that contributes to a qualification is reported as a form of credit transfer.

Are overseas qualifications valid in Australia?

There are several options available to individuals who hold overseas qualifications, but wish to commence a career in Australia. Comparisons between overseas qualifications and Australian qualifications (except for school-level qualifications) may be established through the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR) — a Commonwealth government agency. Individuals seeking formal recognition of their qualifications should contact:

While formal recognition of overseas qualification is possible through NOOSR, ASIC has specific obligations for Australia and it will almost certainly be necessary to undertake some additional training (or assessment) to meet Australian regulatory requirements, particularly in relation to the distinct characteristics and products of the Australian environment.

This exercise of locally qualifying yourself will involve approaching an Australian training organization, known as a Registered Training Organisation (RTO), to do an assessment of your skills and education for you and determine in which area or areas you require additional training to become fully compliant with current regulation.